Thursday, September 08, 2005

Beaver's Post

I was hesistant to post this for all the world to see. I'm not quite that selfconfident yet. But, what do I care, I'm not claiming to have mastered the language. So, here you go, Beaver!

Mi comadre Mati anda rumbo a China Town: qué solitario y silencioso está el despacho!
Ella es la "100 x 100" como la bautizó el niño Gus por su éxito con el género masculino (aunque es mujer de un solo hombre); llegó en enero y desde entonces ha sido mi amiga, vecina, compañera de risas y lágrimas, de viajes y aventuras de lo más kafkianas... da gusto oírla hablar de su tierra (Murcia) con tanta pasión y amor por ella! Ahora está de vacaciones y cuando regrese sólo nos quedarán 10 días juntas...
Entre vosotr@s y yo, es la persona a la que más voy a echar de menos cuando me marche...

My godmother (often used figuratively to mimic a family relation for a close friend), Mati, walks in the direction of China town: how solitary and quiet this spot is! She is the “100 x 100” (not sure what this means, could be 100%, but I’m not sure) like the baptism of the boy Gus for her success with the masculine gender (even though she is a woman of only one man) (I don’t really understand this sentence either, I’m not sure if it’s because I don’t know the background information, the dialectical word choices, or references she’s making); She arrived in January and since then has been my friend, neighbor, companion of laughs and tears, of trips and adventures the best kafkianas (I’m assuming this is a city or some sort of destination they visited together)…it gives me pleasure to hear her talk about her land (Murcia) with such passion and love for it! Now she is on vacation and when she returns we’ll only have 10 days together…

Between you (plural) and me, she is the person I’m going to miss most when I go…

Okay, I did my best. Her choice of words is different from my schooling, so my translation might be a bit choppier. I hope this helps! It was fun doing it! Let me know if I can ever be of service in the future!!

Always,

Cricket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks... I think these are cultural references...

    Not sure... Glad I'm not the only one not making sense of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the site, and have waited patiently for you to translate this every since you and Beaver talked about it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete