Friday, August 26, 2005

FREEDOM!!!

Ah! The glorious appeal of blue skies, stifeling heat, and crippling humidity! With the storm well out of the area, we were finally able to get out of the building and cure a bit of the cabin fever that was rapidly spreading through the dorms last night. While I simply complained about being bored and watched one of my favorite movies, others had more creative ways to occupy their time. My poor RA friend had to deal with the insanity as noise levels grew to deafening levels around midnight. She had to quiet an alcohol party in one suite (luckily they were all of age), people faking extremely loud orgasms in another suite, and someone playing a one stringed violin rather loudly in another suite. Like I said, we were bored.

The storm huffed and puffed and eventually made land fall over an hour south of us. We got some wind and rain but nothing really. Over 1 million FL residents lost power, which sucks for them. Luckily, VERY luckily, the dorms maintained power (I could only imagine, our windows don't open, at all). OH! And we got our water back yesterday afternoon. We had to run every faucet and shower for 5+ minutes, but at least it's back to potable!!

Today I woke up to glorious blue skies. I decided I'd looked at my bedroom walls long enough and set out to find some trouble. I met up with a friend and we spent FOREVER at the Christian bookstore (she takes SO long to make a decision about anything). Then we went for a late lunch at Taco Bell (yes, no protein bar for lunch). After "lunch" (at
3:30 pm) we sat and talked about our summers and life and stuff. It was so nice just to be out of here for a few. I can't believe it's Friday, though. It really feels like Saturday.

Time to get busy on some homework. I've got a ton of reading to do and a stack of grad school applications to fill out!! Everyone, take care!
Joe, you know I'm praying. Beaver, I'm praying for you, too, good luck!! And Amias, if you're reading...get back to work!!

3 comments:

  1. I know Florida is tired of storms. Glad you made it through safe. I am having a blog day ... taking a little break. Writing can be hard work when you are trying to make a science out of it. Wished I had your perfect grammar!

    Glad everything went ok in the finance department ... of course I read your blog! I may not keep up every day or even comments .. but yes, I read it. This is one of my favorite blog to read ...

    BTW: talked to Joe the other day.

    Take care!
    Amias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florida may be tired of storms, but Mississippi is about to get pummeled by the same storm, only after the warm gulf waters have spun it out of control. I'll be praying for your old folks. God alone can protect them from the fury of Katrina.

    You keep working on your book! The grammar will come. Believe me, mine is not perfect and you should see the disgrace I put out in Spanish. We all have our weak spots. While I may be able to put a sentence together, I'll never be able to fill it with the words that you can.

    Yeah, things worked out in Financial Aid. Oops, the coded my funds wrong. Duh, I could have told you that.

    I know you're still lurking! I'm glad to know that you're working so hard on your books. I can't wait to be bragging about the newest author on the best seller list!!

    It's nice to know you talked to Joe...we were commiserating the other day about missing you. You've made an incredible impact on so many.

    Always,
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you're ok :) I followed the news of the storm from Baltimore and was hoping you'd be fine.

    :) Now you can stop being bored ! That's a nice bonus!

    ReplyDelete