Thursday, August 25, 2005

BORED!!!!

Okay, it's official; I'm BORED out of my mind!!! They've canceled classes for the rest of today and tomorrow. They expect to be back up and running on Saturday. This really doesn't affect me since I don't have any classes after 12:30 on Thursdays until Monday morning. They decided not to kick us out for this barely a cat 1 hurricane. The only catch is, we can't leave 'cause there's nothing open and since the campus is technically closed, we can't have guests. So, we're all just chillin' inside being bored. We've all admitted that we do have homework we could be doing, but there's a hurricane outside (tee hee); we can't be expected to do homework. I don't think I could possibly stay awake long enough to read anything anyway. I've officially checked all my fave blogs about a million times...no nothing's changed in the last few hours, despite how much I wish it would. I'd love for one of those really long, intricate Voice posts right about now. You know, the ones that take you forever to read and even longer to check all the interesting links. Or perhaps a new Liquidplastic poem. One that I don't really get so I have to read it a billion times and think about it forever. Then realize the true beauty of it and read it a billion more times because I finally get it. Or maybe a good Beaver link post, similar to her recent test post. Too bad I did all those tests the other day when I wasn't doing my Spanish lit homework. Oy! But then I remember that the rest of the world goes on while FL remains in this surreal time warp. I forgot about that through all of them last year, too. Talking to my friends in CO, "What do you mean you went driving around the mountains and ran errands today?!?! Oh right, no hurricanes out there, my bad."

We're going to watch "In the Time of the Butterflies" later tonight. That should be interesting. I've seen it several times and read the book in English. I have to admit that I've yet to take the time to read it in Spanish. I don't feel all that bad, though. Although it's written by a Dominican author and about the Dominican Republic, it was originally written in English. Anyway, for those of you who aren't familiar with the story...the movie/book/story takes place in the 1960's in the Dominican Republic during the Trujillo reign (a horrific dictator who ruled for 30+ years). Started before and inspired by the Cuban revolution, one young girl began an underground movement to become the Dominican Revolution. This girl was given the code name "Mariposa" or "butterfly." Later two of her sisters became involved in the movement and shared the code name. After several years, a few run-ins with the "president," and much underground activity, the girls were brutally murdered by the government. They day they were murdered, November 25, has become the International Non-violence against Women Day. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Last I checked it was in the DVD bargain bin at Wal-mart, $5.50. I recommend reading the book more, by Julia Alvarez. Both are superb.

Still nothing happening outside my window. The trees aren't really even swaying much anymore. It doesn't appear to be raining at the moment, but hurricane rain is so fine that sometimes you can't tell when it is. The sky doesn't even get black. I guess I'd be more impressed if this was actually a real hurricane. This barely qualifies. According to the national hurricane center, a system has to have sustained winds of 74-95 mph in order to be deemed a cat 1 hurricane. Our "all powerful" Katrina ranks in with 75 mph winds. OOOOO I'm shaking. Maybe I'm being too cynical. This is the fourth hurricane I've been through this year (the first three were in the Dominican Republic) and who knows how many in my life time. Good thunder storms are scarier than tropical storms, to me. But then, I'm not going to do anything stupid because I think this is a lesser storm. No surfing with crazy undertows, no flying kites with keys attached (although there's really never any lightening in these kinds of systems), no running around outside naked (but that is a thought to cure the boredom).

Okay, I'm done rambling. At least I managed to keep myself occupied for a bit while writing this. I'm going to try to get my philosophy reading done (oh how I despise philosophy). We'll see how that goes. Hope everyone is out there staying dry while pointing fingers and laughing at us...again!


Check it out if you get bored!

I'm in Jupiter

1 comment:

  1. hey ! I just posted a test up for you... it one a post I'd prepared ahead for a lame uninspiring day...

    How about trying to write 100 things about you ? That post kept me busy quite a while, espescially if you try to make it organized and add pics !

    ReplyDelete